Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Trappist Beer

A Trappist beer is beer brewed in a monastery.  Brian has been talking about the seven Trappist beers and wanting to visit the different monasteries for a while now.  The one closest to our house is the Achel Brewery in Belgium.

IMG_4532.jpg

 It is located in the Abbey of Saint Benedict.  We were able to eat here and sample some of the Achel brew on tap.  I don't know about you, but knowing that monks made my beer and all of the profits from the brewery support the monastery or other charities just makes that beer taste better.

IMG_4460.jpg

The grounds around the Abbey were beautiful.  Tons of walking/hiking trails.  The girls had a great time running through the trees.

IMG_4572-Edit.jpg

When we saw this I looked at Brian and said what does this remind you of?

Carowinds of course!

Carolyn had fun jumping from the BE Belgian side of the road to the NL Netherlands side of the road.  Not quite the same as the North Carolina /South Carolina line in the middle of Carowinds amusement park but it was funny that it reminded both Brian and I of that.

IMG_4508.jpg

Some of the monastery was off limits.  We were able to go into a little chapel area, but we couldn't go in the big beautiful church in the background.  I wasn't really even able to get a good picture of it.  I really don't think my quiet (loud) children would have interrupted the monks peace.

IMG_4535.jpg

They did have a gift shop on the grounds and Carolyn picked out a 125 Euro baby Jesus that she wanted.  I am all for supporting the monastery but we told her we weren't getting baby Jesus.  He needed to stay with the 300 Euro Mary and 250 Euro Joseph.

Instead we told her that she could take home a stick.  I love this child.  This is her ever so happy with her stick she chose to take home.

IMG_4480.jpg

I can't remember what I said to her to get her to laugh like this but this is the best laugh.  Head back, Eyes Closed....  Bliss!

IMG_4488.jpg

Little Sidney and her smirk.  She liked running around in the trees so much that when it was time to go..

IMG_4555-Edit.jpg

she had a total melt down.  The monks might not have let us back into their area, but I am by far certain that they were aware of our presence.

IMG_4574.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment