Monday, May 30, 2011

The Unromantic Rhine

Cologne is part of what they call the Unromantic Rhine.  I never really got that till I went to the romantic Rhine portion and now I get it.  It is the fourth largest city in Germany and during WWII bombs destroyed 95 percent of the city.

IMG_6162-Edit.jpg

The main draw for Cologne is the Cathedral.  Although I have seen it several times now, it still has that wow factor for me.

IMG_0382-Edit.jpg

Brian was not with me last time I was here so he was excited to go inside.  During WWII  the cathedral was hit with 15 bombs, but it remained standing.  Isn't that amazing.  They removed the glass and art treasures in anticipation of the bombing so they were saved as well.

IMG_6176.jpg

I am glad to see that it is not just Brian and I that my children have a hard time posing with.  As you can see by Carolyn's umbrella we had rain that day so after eating lunch and doing a tour of the Cathedral we headed home.  That is one of the great things about living over here and having visitors.  Doing day trips, but then having your home to go home to.

IMG_6170-Edit.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment