Monday, November 8, 2010

Valkenburg, Netherlands

Somehow in between Carolyn seeing how many times we could possibly manage to watch Toy Story 3 in one weekend, we managed to get out of the house and visit the town of Valkenburg in the Netherlands.

IMG_3399.jpg

We didn't know exactly what we were going to do here but once we saw the Valkenburg Castle ruins we decided that we would check that out.

IMG_3319.jpg

This castle is in ruins not because of time although it dates back to the 11th century but because the French kept taking it from the Dutch so the Dutch decided to blow it up in 1672.  I loved the fact that the information signs here where also printed in English.  Makes touring something a lot easier when you can read about what you are looking at.

IMG_3312.jpg

We told the girls that the castle was a big playground.  Kind of true because of all the stairs and things they could climb on.

IMG_3397.jpg

The view from top of the castle.

IMG_3331.jpg

Since Sidney was free roaming, there is  no way we could have gotten a stroller around the ruins, Brian was on photographer duty more than normal.  So glad he was because he got great shots like this

IMG_3387-Edit.jpg


and this.  I love this picture.

IMG_3394-Edit.jpg

After all the hard work of running around the ruins we had to have some Hot Chocolate.

IMG_3406.jpg

Anyplace we have gone to in Holland the people have been so friendly.  Love the Dutch.

IMG_3410-Edit.jpg

The town was already starting to decorate for their Christmas Market they have each year, which is in a cave. Although I hate to admit that the thought of being in a cave kind of brings out my claustrophobia, I am just going to have to get over it. How often do you get to go into a cave, much less a cave full of Christmas goodies?

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your roamings :) Great pics too!!! And I too love the shots of you and Sydney. Kudos to Brian! It's awesome to be included in a shot from time-to-time, because all to often are we as mothers the ones always behind the camera, never in the shots.

    ReplyDelete