Wednesday, September 8, 2010

City Hotel

Tonight is our last night at the City Hotel. Woo Hoo! I think the person most excited should be Sidney since she finally will get to sleep in something other than a pack-n-play tomorrow night. Our internet and phone service will not be set up until the 14th, we'll have no communication with the states until then. But we did get our AFN (armed forces network) satellite box and we are hoping that they are going to show the Gamecocks on Saturday. Brian has this theory that since we are on another continent we will most definitely beat Georgia.

Even though I am doing a dance that we are leaving tomorrow, these are some of the things I will want to remember when I look back on our time here:

Carolyn having gelato for the first time and walking to get it about every other night. Watching her try the staples of Chocolate and Strawberry and then seeing her branch out to Pistachio (Brian's favorite), Tiramisu (or tiramasoup as she calls it), and Stracciatella (my favorite).

IMG_0143-Edit.jpg

Seeing Sidney just be her normal happy little self no matter what situation we put her in. Even through cutting three teeth while we were here, she was always happy as long as she had her belly full and her white lamb lovey in her hand.


IMG_0135-Edit.jpg


Getting my husband to watch shows like Friends, Gilmore Girls, Glee, and One Tree Hill because they were the only thing showing on the one English speaking channel. He probably won't admit it but he is now a fan of Glee. :)

The fact that Brian has done all of our laundry since we have gotten here. Because the laundry room is in this dark basement dungeon looking place and I got freaked out when I went down there by myself. He has just done it no complaints...it's the little things.

The Italian restaurant that we went to the first night we were here and went back to several times after that. The waiters spoke zero English but were so nice. Carolyn thought she was hot stuff because they brought a wine glass out with her apple juice. We went there last night, and after looking some things up on Google translate, I was finally brave enough to order something other than a pizza.

IMG_0189.jpg

Finally, the realization that we had the other night: that even if we can't communicate with everyone, the people that take the time to communicate with us are so interesting and nice. The people that have zero interest in communicating with us...well I probably wouldn't want to talk to them even if they did speak English. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment