Monday, July 18, 2011

Barcelona, Spain

We were very excited that our Cruise left out of Barcelona, Spain.  We decided to drive from Germany to Spain, which was a beautiful drive but long.  It was worth it though once we were in Barcelona and I must say it was wonderful to see Palm Trees again. ( Or Pom Pom Trees as Carolyn calls them)

IMG_6558.jpg

And the Beach!  We headed there right away after we checked into our hotel.  This was our first European beach experience and let's just say it was interesting and there was not a lack of people watching.  The girls had a blast!

IMG_0918.jpg

The next day we had a full day of sightseeing around the city.

IMG_6557.jpg

The Columbus Monument.  It was in Barcelona that Ferdinand and Queen Isabel welcomed Christopher Columbus home after his first trip to America.

IMG_6559.jpg

Then we ran into Columbus on the Ramblas and of course Carolyn had to get a picture with him.

IMG_6567.jpg

Also on the Ramblas we went into the La Boqueria which was this huge market where you could get anything from produce to

IMG_6563.jpg

Brian's favorite Jamon.  I had so much Jamon while we were in Barcelona I was a little Jamoned out, but it was so good.

IMG_6564.jpg

There were lots of architectural details throughout the city.  The architect Antoni Gaudi  is famous for having designed many of the buildings in Barcelona.  We didn't try to tract down many of the Gaudi sights though because to be honest neither Brian nor I had heard about him before coming here.  Instead we

IMG_6576.jpg

focused our day more on the food of the city.  I have always loved Tapas and love it even more after visiting here.  We ate at this great Tapas restaurant that had a playground right in front of it.  I love finding restaurants like this.  With a 4 and a 2 year old having them play at the playground while we enjoy a meal is always the best scenario.

IMG_6571.jpg

The girls had been so good the day before on our drive down that we decided to treat them with a trip to the

IMG_6570-Edit.jpg

Aquarium.

IMG_6589.jpg

Brian was just as excited as the girls to go there.

IMG_6587.jpg

And what was I most excited about eating again of course.  That night I finally got my paella.  It was so yummy!!

IMG_0926-Edit.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment